How well we know these five spices
A world full of web series and all sorts of digital entertainment content there is always one favorite category. Many shows under this category are winning hearts all around the world year after year. It is still fresh and trending. They say ‘way to someone’s heart goes through their stomach’. Yes, you guessed it right, ‘Food’ — world’s simplest way of communication. Indian as well as international entertainment channels, digital media platforms are full of cookery shows. The reason is straightforward. How can being a Foodie go out of fashion? Developing the tendency of exploring the world and experimenting on Global cuisine is making us realize that our taste buds are liberating. Food cultures from various continents say many things about their traditions, lifestyle, and soul of its nature. To know the recipes, the ingredients used and the treatment given to them in the whole process is an amazing experience in itself. Use of particular fruit, vegetable, herbs and spices found in specific geographic area make that dish unique and soulful. Being Indian, I feel proud of my food culture as it is called the country of spices.
Any Indian recipe is incomplete without use spice and verity of its combinations. Indians believe that the correct use of spices truly enhances the taste, texture, and identity of raw food. Tempering food is an important ritual in cooking. Cooking is an art and when it comes to any art, we need patience. Blooming of spices in Desi Ghee or Oil is the most magical moment. We should give it its own time just like a beautiful flower in spring. Once the aroma dwells into the atmosphere it seduces your taste buds and it takes to into some magical world. Spices perform three important functions: 1. Colourtreat for eyes 2. Aromatic seduction for nose 3. The perfect blend of taste for pallet. If we keenly study spices and try to innovate new recipes from them, the cooking will not become monotonous. Recreation of some combinations from older spices and pushing boundaries to make some fusion is what we need to develop. Using same spices but trying different combinations can make your daily cooking better than ever... so fasten your seat belts are let’s begin our journey to the world of spices where we will try to learn different combinations of basic spices and its effect on food and their health benefits.
- Cumin seeds:
- It is one of the primary spice in every kitchen which is capable of being used in maximum combinations. As cumin seeds have their own taste, they give food aroma and distinct blend of flavor. Cumin seeds are normally used with Green chillis and Ginger.
- Seeds are used in a variety of recipes because of their essential health benefits too. Let us check out some of them:
- It helps to improve your digestion system
- It is considered a good detoxification agent
- It is a rich source of iron.
- Helps in treatment of blood cholesterol-related disorder.
2. Black paper:
It is one of the most crucial ingredients in every combination of masala. It is a dried version of the fruit used for seasoning the raw ingredients. It is used in all kinds of spices internationally. Black paper can be used even with cumin seeds and other Garam masalas. It goes excellent with garam masala and dry mango powder.
· It contains an antimicrobial compound which keeps your food fresh.
· Some foods cause inflammation in your body. A moderate amount of black paper helps to reduce that inflammation.
· It also enhances nutrient absorption.
· It is rich in vitamins and minerals.
It is an old Indian spice and a robust medical compound. It’s the base for all ‘tadkas’. It gives energetic color to food and aroma. Although it is complete ‘Indian’, western culture has now started adapting it in their fashionable ‘turmeric’ lattes.
Turmeric is used in all Indian recipes over 1000 years. It tastes best in Tadka and goes typically best with chili powder.
It definitely gives a strong, healthy dose. Mixing a spoon of turmeric powder in warm milk gives you all power against majority health disorders.
· It purifies your blood and acts as an effective antioxidant.
· It boosts up levels of brain hormones.
· Research has suggested that usage of turmeric may even have an effect on treating diseases like cancer and heart-related problems.
· As it can cross the blood-brain barrier and has shown to lead to various improvements in the pathological process of Alzheimer’s disease.
4. Bay leaf
It is dried leaf used for its distinctive fragrance and aroma. It enhances the taste of different curries and it is one of the important element of garam masala.
· It helps in improving the digestion system.
· It helps improve hair quality.
· It protects the body from kidney problems.
· It acts as a cancer preventive ingredient.
It is used as an aromatic condiment and flavoring additive in a wide variety of cuisines. It is used for making tea, bread, sweets and of course the main dishes. The spice has well blended with cloves, cardamom, coriander powder, ginger, nutmeg, and anise.
· It is recognized as an anti-diabetic food agent as it helps to lower the blood sugar.
· It helps in treating diabetes.
· It reduces bad cholesterol.
· It helps in treating eye-related disorders.
Also, read my other blogs: